Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Diversity In THE PACK


I love diversity in my books. Mainly because where I live there are so many races and flavors that I just can’t help but reveal my love of diversity in my writing. Not to mention my kids have friends of all nationalities and it’s refreshing how they all love each others differences while being curious about them.

In The Pack, which takes place in the future, the main character is bi-racial. She’s in love with a Caucasian boy who looks past her handicap to pursue her as a friend and girlfriend while he convinces her to trust others in their journey to save the missing kids on Mars.

This book is about friendship, trust and family. Color is minor when life or death come into play. Lastly, Shamira realizes that even though she is flawed, her new friends are flawed also. Those flaws become minor when you love someone.

THE DYNAMICS OF RACE

Now, I have to be honest, as an African American Female writer of Young Adult Science Fiction, I get strange looks at scifi fairs. I love it! It’s a topic of conversation and many stop to ask me if I’m the author and what made me desire to write science fiction. Living in a diverse setting as I do, I welcome innocent questions of curiosity based on race. It’s a great way to learn about others and to dispel myths or misconceptions. I explain that as an engineer, writing science fiction just came natural to me. That what I write as an author picks me, I don’t pick it.

DON'T FORGET YOUR PARTY FAVORS! EMAIL THE PUBLISHER HERE - YOUR MAILING ADDRESS AND NAME FOR YOUR PARTY FAVOR!

No comments:

Post a Comment