Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Loving Signing Books!

Well I guess now I'm a book signing veteran. I’ve been doing signings now for I about three years. But the most memorable one I’ve done has been at Walker Mill Middle School. It’s a school just outside of Washington DC and they have a great and positive school staff that works with smart kids that are navigating through some major struggles.


This last time I visited there, the school had a tragedy. A young 8th grade girl had attempted to commit suicide in the school. The kids were highly sensitive as it was apparent that the situation was caused by bullying.

Even though I was signing books, talking to the kids about finding their own inner strength, my heart was breaking for them. During my book signing portion of the day, a young girl came up to me, with tears in her eyes and hugged me. Then she thanked me and told me that me giving her one of my books and signing it just for her was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for her.

Moments like that are – priceless. Priceless.


I hold that moment to my heart and every time I sit down and write, that girl and many other young people on the poised to become someone great encourage me to keep writing stories for them.




No comments:

Post a Comment